Author Topic: [topic pot] And nothing else needs to be spoken.  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Shippolo

• Verified
  • Character Name: Shippolo
  • Faction: Horde
[topic pot] And nothing else needs to be spoken.
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »

Offline Atrax

Re: [topic pot] And nothing else needs to be spoken.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
At first I downvoted this, but then I upvoted it because of the (also sold in public schools) note.

But the internet really doesn't need more "weed is harmless" debates.  Also, I highly doubt any one ever got into a car accident because of a dose of caffeine.

Offline Xiun

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
I heard inhaling smoke is good for your lungs.

Oh, and if you get munchies, have fun eating a lot.

Caffeine and calories can be removed from the soda to keep it "healthy".

Soda is fine in moderation, as is marijuana, the health risks appear for both when people do nothing but drink soda/smoke all day.

P.S. studies have shown short term memory loss and increased risk of developing schizophrenia in long term marijuana smokers.

I also have never seen my friend turn into a complete lose over soda drinking.

INB4 stupind long political debate about all this shit that end up derailing into name calling.

Xiun/Logeralfeth/Healdeal/Hulley

Offline Virendis

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:37 PM »
In before /lick Xiun!

Unce unce unce unce unce unce unce!

Offline Atrax

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »

Soda is fine in moderation, as is marijuana, the health risks appear for both when people do nothing but drink soda/smoke all day.

P.S. studies have shown short term memory loss and increased risk of developing schizophrenia in long term marijuana smokers.

INB4 stupind long political debate about all this shit that end up derailing into name calling.

Wow.

Offline Therm

• Verified
  • Loa of Rage
  • Character Name: Therm
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
+3
I don't give a shit about drugs, but goddamn stoners are so annoying.

Offline Mick

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »

So, your plan, if I understand correctly, is to make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims and then call the part AFTER your post stupid?

Offline Calali

• Verified
  • Character Name: Calali
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
+1
I am not up to par on all the statistics on pot these days...but all I know is...

I have encountered a plethora of pot users and never found one that was smart.
"Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

02:24 < SaintBaneclaw> a chick can be hot and still have a dick

Offline Zajiwa

• Banned
  • No replacement for displacement.
  • Character Name: Zajiwa
  • Guild: Massive Mojo
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »

But the internet really doesn't need more "weed is harmless" debates.  Also, I highly doubt any one ever got into a car accident because of a dose of caffeine.

ive seen some drivers out there, waxing philosophically on the cb, going 45mph and hugging the white line, like little gentle turtles waddling down the interstate

not nearly as scary as the caffeine fiends who just downed a redbull and are ready to rumble redlined in the passing lane with their music blaring out the window and their heads banging off their own steering wheels

YAAAAAH KID ROCK YOU CAN CALL ME TEX' ROLLIN SUNSET WOMEN WITH A BOTTLE OF BECKZ

but i agree stoners are really fucking annoying, specially when you're trusting them to heal you

I'M LOOKING AT YOU ZURINDU
Synthesis.

Offline Gjenkomst

• Verified
  • Character Name: Njörðr
  • Faction: Alliance
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »
+2
The below document is a project I did earlier this year, the format is a 'Model Congress Bill', so yes we had to write, "Whereas" in front of every bit of information. I discuss both positive and negative effects of Cannabis as well as compare it to alcohol consumption. I also had a PowerPoint presentation on the same topic but I think I deleted it.

I attached all of my sources at the end of the post. The first two sources were very long, so I put them in TinyURLs. The SIRS (http://ars.sirs.com/) site requires login information:

Username: WA0830H
Password: 98028

I take a legalize for medical/research stance on the topic.

SI Model Congress Bill
The United States HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Representative:

A bill to legalize cannabis for medical use and research to better understand its effects on the human body. Cannabis has many valuable medical uses but not all of the properties of the drug are known to us at this time. Research will help pinpoint the helpful and negative effects of the drug.

Be it enacted that the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled that:
1.   Whereas many of the properties of the cannabis plant are unknown to us because of the lack of research.

2.   Whereas people say it’s ‘Cheech and Chong’ medicine and no companies are supportive because it’s not patentable, so what’s the point? (Cotter).

3.   Whereas the International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines' database has compiled more than 300 studies going back to 1970 (Cotter).

4.   Whereas the problem is, studies are expensive, funding for marijuana studies is scarce (Cotter).
5.   Whereas even if scads of funding were available, research into marijuana's therapeutic value is hampered by its status as a Schedule I drug (Cotter).

6.   Whereas even if cannabis is never legalized, we need to invest time into the research of cannabinoids.

7.   Whereas the possibilities are endless but we need to start research.

8.   Whereas there may be hidden dangers in the use of cannabis that is unknown.

9.   Whereas there is the possibility of a hidden healing chemical that cannabis possesses.

10.   Whereas the sooner we research, the sooner we find out.

11.   Whereas the known medical benefits are almost too good to pass up.

12.   Whereas a team of Montreal Researchers has lent scientific credibility to the view that smoking marijuana can ease chronic neuropathic pain and help patients sleep better (Alphonso).

13.   Whereas the federal government has given authorization to almost 5,000 people to possess dried marijuana and 3,000 people hold personal use production licenses according to Health Canada (Alphonso).

14.   Whereas research conducted since 1970 has found that marijuana or its derivatives show some promise in helping the following conditions: Chronic and neuropathic pain, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, Multiple sclerosis/spasticity, Appetite loss ect. (Alphonso).

15.   Whereas in the little research that has been done, it has been found that short term use has positive effects.

16.   Whereas it is unknown however the potential long term health effects.

17.   Whereas it has been known to help with nausea, headaches/migraines, anxiety, glaucoma and agitation caused my Alzheimer’s disease.

18.   Whereas most of these studies are short term and we do not know if all these effects will last indefinitely.

19.   Whereas the negative effects of cannabis are something to be worried about.

20.   Whereas todays ‘pot’ is at least 10 times stronger than in the 1970’s and 80’s and more addictive (Weintraub).

21.   Whereas for people with a genetic vulnerability to schizophrenia, marijuana can trigger a psychotic episode. (Weintraub).

22.   Whereas research suggests that regular marijuana use interferes with learning and memory (Weintraub).

23.   Whereas some recent clinical studies show that frequent cannabis use interferes with learning and memory in adolescents.

24.   Whereas the most dangerous effects of marijuana is not yet known to us.

25.   Whereas more research is necessary to learn all of the side effects of marijuana.

26.   Whereas alcohol is potentially more dangerous than cannabis

27.   Whereas there are hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths each year, yet there has never been a marijuana overdose death in history (SaferChoice.org).

28.   Whereas alcohol is clearly the drug with the most evidence to support a direct intoxication-violence relationship, cannabis reduces likelihood of violence during intoxication (SaferChoice.org).

29.   Whereas prolonged excessive consumption of alcohol can cause permanent damage to the brain and other organs of the body (AlcoholVsMarijuana.com).

30.   Whereas marijuana can cause memory loss or respiratory irritation.

31.   Whereas long term use of alcohol can cause liver damage as well as pancreatic cancers.

32.   Whereas long term use of cannabis can cause lung and gum cancers.

33.   Whereas alcohol provides an enjoyable social interaction and marijuana provides all the benefits listed #11-18.

Cotter, Barbara. "Little Scientific Research on Medical Marijuana's Benefits." Gazette (Colorado Springs, CO). 26 Jun 2011: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 08 Dec 2011.
<http://tinyurl.com/6s36vk8>

Weintraub, Karen. "Are Today's Parents Going Too Soft on Kids Using Marijuana?." USA TODAY. 17 Oct 2011: D.4. SIRS Issues Researcher.Web. 08 Dec 2011.
<http://tinyurl.com/7tgvajm>

“Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.” SaferChoice.org. Safer Choice n.d. Web. December 8, 2011
<http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/>

“Alcohol VS Marijuana: A rational and informed comparison” alcoholvsmarijuana.com Alcohol VS Marijuana n.d. Web December 8, 2011
<http://alcoholvsmarijuana.com/>

Offline Gjenkomst

• Verified
  • Character Name: Njörðr
  • Faction: Alliance
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »
+1
Oh and I think a discussion like this would be better suited for the "On Topic" Board: http://emeralddrama.com/index.php/board,10.0.html

Offline Shippolo

• Verified
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
The below document is a project I did earlier this year, the format is a 'Model Congress Bill', so yes we had to write, "Whereas" in front of every bit of information. I discuss both positive and negative effects of Cannabis as well as compare it to alcohol consumption. I also had a PowerPoint presentation on the same topic but I think I deleted it.

I attached all of my sources at the end of the post. The first two sources were very long, so I put them in TinyURLs. The SIRS (http://ars.sirs.com/) site requires login information:

Username: WA0830H
Password: 98028

I take a legalize for medical/research stance on the topic.

SI Model Congress Bill
The United States HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Representative:

A bill to legalize cannabis for medical use and research to better understand its effects on the human body. Cannabis has many valuable medical uses but not all of the properties of the drug are known to us at this time. Research will help pinpoint the helpful and negative effects of the drug.

Be it enacted that the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled that:
1.   Whereas many of the properties of the cannabis plant are unknown to us because of the lack of research.

2.   Whereas people say it’s ‘Cheech and Chong’ medicine and no companies are supportive because it’s not patentable, so what’s the point? (Cotter).

3.   Whereas the International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines' database has compiled more than 300 studies going back to 1970 (Cotter).

4.   Whereas the problem is, studies are expensive, funding for marijuana studies is scarce (Cotter).
5.   Whereas even if scads of funding were available, research into marijuana's therapeutic value is hampered by its status as a Schedule I drug (Cotter).

6.   Whereas even if cannabis is never legalized, we need to invest time into the research of cannabinoids.

7.   Whereas the possibilities are endless but we need to start research.

8.   Whereas there may be hidden dangers in the use of cannabis that is unknown.

9.   Whereas there is the possibility of a hidden healing chemical that cannabis possesses.

10.   Whereas the sooner we research, the sooner we find out.

11.   Whereas the known medical benefits are almost too good to pass up.

12.   Whereas a team of Montreal Researchers has lent scientific credibility to the view that smoking marijuana can ease chronic neuropathic pain and help patients sleep better (Alphonso).

13.   Whereas the federal government has given authorization to almost 5,000 people to possess dried marijuana and 3,000 people hold personal use production licenses according to Health Canada (Alphonso).

14.   Whereas research conducted since 1970 has found that marijuana or its derivatives show some promise in helping the following conditions: Chronic and neuropathic pain, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, Multiple sclerosis/spasticity, Appetite loss ect. (Alphonso).

15.   Whereas in the little research that has been done, it has been found that short term use has positive effects.

16.   Whereas it is unknown however the potential long term health effects.

17.   Whereas it has been known to help with nausea, headaches/migraines, anxiety, glaucoma and agitation caused my Alzheimer’s disease.

18.   Whereas most of these studies are short term and we do not know if all these effects will last indefinitely.

19.   Whereas the negative effects of cannabis are something to be worried about.

20.   Whereas todays ‘pot’ is at least 10 times stronger than in the 1970’s and 80’s and more addictive (Weintraub).

21.   Whereas for people with a genetic vulnerability to schizophrenia, marijuana can trigger a psychotic episode. (Weintraub).

22.   Whereas research suggests that regular marijuana use interferes with learning and memory (Weintraub).

23.   Whereas some recent clinical studies show that frequent cannabis use interferes with learning and memory in adolescents.

24.   Whereas the most dangerous effects of marijuana is not yet known to us.

25.   Whereas more research is necessary to learn all of the side effects of marijuana.

26.   Whereas alcohol is potentially more dangerous than cannabis

27.   Whereas there are hundreds of alcohol overdose deaths each year, yet there has never been a marijuana overdose death in history (SaferChoice.org).

28.   Whereas alcohol is clearly the drug with the most evidence to support a direct intoxication-violence relationship, cannabis reduces likelihood of violence during intoxication (SaferChoice.org).

29.   Whereas prolonged excessive consumption of alcohol can cause permanent damage to the brain and other organs of the body (AlcoholVsMarijuana.com).

30.   Whereas marijuana can cause memory loss or respiratory irritation.

31.   Whereas long term use of alcohol can cause liver damage as well as pancreatic cancers.

32.   Whereas long term use of cannabis can cause lung and gum cancers.

33.   Whereas alcohol provides an enjoyable social interaction and marijuana provides all the benefits listed #11-18.

Cotter, Barbara. "Little Scientific Research on Medical Marijuana's Benefits." Gazette (Colorado Springs, CO). 26 Jun 2011: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 08 Dec 2011.
<http://tinyurl.com/6s36vk8>

Weintraub, Karen. "Are Today's Parents Going Too Soft on Kids Using Marijuana?." USA TODAY. 17 Oct 2011: D.4. SIRS Issues Researcher.Web. 08 Dec 2011.
<http://tinyurl.com/7tgvajm>

“Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.” SaferChoice.org. Safer Choice n.d. Web. December 8, 2011
<http://www.saferchoice.org/content/view/24/53/>

“Alcohol VS Marijuana: A rational and informed comparison” alcoholvsmarijuana.com Alcohol VS Marijuana n.d. Web December 8, 2011
<http://alcoholvsmarijuana.com/>

So far one of the best thought out responses i have received in a long time.

However i doubt it will be legal past a point as the negative and unfounded bad propaganda has brain washed so many into thinking if they smoke it they will go insane.

Offline Xiun

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »
+2
ive seen some drivers out there, waxing philosophically on the cb, going 45mph and hugging the white line, like little gentle turtles waddling down the interstate

I've driven with my friend when he was stoned (not to my knowlage until after the fact, mind you, or I would have driven) and it was terrifying to say the least.

But hey, there are precious turtle drivers who chug red bulls and crazy sober drivers who give you a heart attack.

In the end though they should just fucking legalize marijuana and be done with it.

Xiun/Logeralfeth/Healdeal/Hulley

Offline Pnad

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
+3
I don't give a shit about drugs, but goddamn stoners are so annoying.
there are a lot of cool ones out there but the ones that think their entire identify should be defined by the fact that they use marijuana should go jump off a fucking bridge

Offline Erbvirus

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
You all know nothing about weed if you don't live in California fuck off

PS: I don't smoke i just thought i'd throw that out there.

Offline Austynn

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »

Didn't know that was a prerequisite to cannabis knowledge.

• Dhex, Mithrannar

Serenity.

Offline Erbvirus

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »

of course some shitter holy paladin would try to argue with the #1 Paladin on the server

stay small with that tier 1 kid  8)

Offline Austynn

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »

of course some shitter holy paladin would try to argue with the #1 Paladin on the server

stay small with that tier 1 kid  8)

Completely irrelevant. You'd struggle in the on-topic forum more than a Mormon in San Francisco.
  • Dhex, Mithrannar

Serenity.

Offline Pnad

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
No carcinogens in pot?   ;D

i think smoking soda is also bad for you but im not sure

Offline Toie

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
You cannot base such generalized statements on your (general you/r) limited experiences with stoners or alcoholics. Scientific studies are also almost always bias one way or another.

Schizophrenia is a genetic disorder that can be triggered by marijuana. You cannot catch such a mental disease by smoking pot if you do not have the genetic traits already in your DNA.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/teens-who-smoke-pot-at-risk-for-later-schizophrenia-psychosis-201103071676

"Young people with a parent or sibling affected by psychosis have a roughly one in 10 chance of developing the condition themselves—even if they never smoke pot. Regular marijuana use, however, doubles their risk—to a one in five chance of becoming psychotic.

In comparison, youths in families unaffected by psychosis have a 7 in 1,000 chance of developing it. If they smoke pot regularly, the risk doubles, to 14 in 1,000."

I like 14 in 1,000 over 1 in 10.

The fact also stands that those with mental illnesses are more likely to self medicate. Often with substances like pot or any of the other street drugs.

http://www.healthyplace.com/bipolar-disorder/articles/substance-abuse-and-mental-illness/

And usually someone with both a mental illness AND a drug abuse problem will be swept under the rug as just another drug addict. They will end up in the streets with no care, their mental illness growing and tragedy will most likely strike. We already had a post about a mentally ill man being savagely beaten by two police officers. That happens more often than people safe in their houses want to realize.

Maybe we shouldn't just shrug off substance users as just loser druggies and maybe pay them some common decency owed to any human being. You never know when drug abuse is just a symptom of something far worse going on inside their heads.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:19:30 PM by Toie »
<Therm> toie is right
(+Knivz) my penis is tragic
<Peeks> HAIL GORDON DELVER OF VAGINAS DIVIDER OF LABIAS
Deance: If being a massive whore were an Olympic sport you'd be the fucking gold medalist at it

Offline Graush

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
+1
Okay I generally just call people stupid but holy fucking shit where do I begin. Class is in session, eyes forward and no note passing.

Because tinctures, edibles and oil drop pills do not exist.

Yes, any burning plant matter is bad for you. Smoke is bad for you. This is generally accepted and anyone that seriously says "well you smoke pot ergo its unhealthy" completely ignores every other application, many of which are more common within the medicinal sphere of the drug than just recreational users which if you're speaking in context of the health effects of marijuana you'd be taken more seriously by someone with a brain.

I haven't gotten a legit munchie attack in 2 years, generally whenever I get hungry from smoking it's around the time I eat anyways. And I fit in the "Chronic, heavy" category in my usage. This is relevant because anyone who would need to worry about this would have a tolerance for it like I do and those that have no tolerance towards the munchies don't smoke enough to worry about over eating unless they already have an issue with it.

>he thinks diet soda is healthier

P.S. studies have shown short term memory loss
True to a degree, but it's really fucking obvious you're spouting nonsense you don't actually know because of

increased risk of developing schizophrenia in long term marijuana smokers.

I don't know where to begin.

The fact that you can't acquire schizophrenia from an external source and it's a genetic thing.

Or that the very study you think you know about, which you really just heard off hand and are actually an ignorant cunt about, showed that people with a GENETIC DISPOSITION FOR SCHIZOPHRENIA have an increased chance of developing symptoms. By I think 2%. I would fish for the study but I spent enough time educating someone who is obviously a retard.

jk here's the abstract

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2887%2992620-1/abstract

Offline Graush

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23:32 PM »
ALSO THIS IS NOW A WEED PORN THREAD AND ONLY WEED PORN TIME TO FAP

Offline Shippolo

• Verified
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
I think i came.

Offline Therm

• Verified
  • Loa of Rage
  • Character Name: Therm
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
+1
The sweetener used in non saccharine diet sodas are largely benign, because most people don't drink ten cans in a day. However, the sweetener turns into embalming fluid on contact with stomach acids, which means if you're downing a Double Gulp of diet in place of regular, you'd be better off with regular, even as a diabetic.

Offline Shippolo

• Verified
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
The sweetener used in non saccharine diet sodas are largely benign, because most people don't drink ten cans in a day. However, the sweetener turns into embalming fluid on contact with stomach acids, which means if you're downing a Double Gulp of diet in place of regular, you'd be better off with regular, even as a diabetic.

The thing is, sugar is really really bad for you, and as such a man made sweetener will be so much worse.

But as i always say, almost everything we eat is poison and we wont change that until we want change.